Visa Categories

Family Visas

Family Class

How to sponsor a family member to join you here if you are a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen.

 If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative (such as a parent or grandparent) to become a permanent resident. If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek financial assistance from the government. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada are now processing spousal applications in 12 months or less. In-Canada spousal applications allow the foreiogn spouse to apply for an open work permit so that they can work while waiting for their permanent residency. 

Parent and grandparent sponsorships

 Details and opening date for the 2020 parents and grandparents program will be posted on the IRCC website when details are confirmed. Parent and grandparent sponsorships are so in demand that IRCC limits the number of applications annually and randomly selects the potential applicants.