About Canada

Income Tax

Income Tax

Paying income tax

All residents of Canada are subject to income tax. Income taxes and other deductions are usually taken from your pay cheques by your employer. These income taxes are used by governments to provide services, such as roads, schools and health care.

Canadian residents can benefit in many ways from programs that have been paid for through their income taxes and deductions. These programs include social assistance for people in need, employment insurance for workers who have lost their jobs and worker’s compensation for workers injured on the job.

Filing your tax return

Each year, you must submit an Income Tax and Benefit Return to tell the government how much money you earned and how much tax you paid. If you paid more than you were supposed to, you will get a refund. If you paid less, you will have to pay.

Filing an income tax return is extremely important—in many cases it is not optional. You must file one each year to qualify for various government benefits, such as the Canada Child Tax Benefit and the Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) Credit.

Finding the proper forms

You can get income tax return forms from any post office or Canada Revenue Agency tax services office.

The Canada Revenue Agency has several publications for newcomers. To find out more information about income tax forms, call 1-800-959-2221.

The deadline for completing your income tax return is April 30 of each year. If you have lived in Quebec during the year, you have to file a separate provincial tax return.