Visa Categories

Canadian Experience Class

Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class Program (CEC) allows those with temporary Canadian work experience to apply to become permanent residents. Applications for the CEC are managed via Express Entry – so an Express Entry profile will need to be created as the first step. An applicant will need to meet the requirements of the CEC and will also need to meet the threshold of Express Entry, in order to be given an Invitation to Apply.


If you are a temporary foreign worker in Canada, you often have the qualities to make a successful transition from temporary to permanent residence. Although the CEC is a “pass / fail” program, you still need to meet the points under Express Entry. Your Canadian work experience will give you extra points.

What are the minimum requirements?


Skilled Work Experience


You need to have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply. This does not need to be consecutive. Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (for example, on a co-op work term) does not count under the CEC. “Skilled work” means that your work experience must be level O, A, B of the NOC.




You must meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening) – these are Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs OR Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for NOC B jobs. You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French by including the test results when you complete your Express Entry profile. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence. For English, you should do the IELTS (General) or the CELPIP (General) test and for French you should do the TEF.




There is no education requirement for the CEC. But, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you either need a Canadian education credential or you will you will need to have your foreign education credentials assessed, so that points can be properly allocated. You must provide an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by IRCC. The report must show your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree. You will need to enter the information from the report (including the reference number) in your Express Entry profile.


As well as all of the above requirements, IRCC will check to make sure that you and your family are admissible to Canada, so medicals and criminal checks must be provided. You must also plan to live outside the province of Quebec.